It's been 6 weeks since our last update. Not much has happened since then, but
I'd like to remember where the time went when I read this again in 20 years, so
I'll write the boring stuff too.
Our application at Ke'ehi Marine Center was approved
in early September and we moved the boat there on the 9th of the same month.
This was a big win for us. The cruising guides say getting a permanent slip in
Hawaii is nearly impossible, but 40 pages of application and $1,200 earned us a
permanent slip on Oahu. Woohoo! We're even allowed to live aboard.
After 15 months without a permanent home, it feels good to "have a
place." No more begging for a slip every time we come into port.
Now that we have a permanent slip the job search can begin. Carolyn and I have
both updated our resumes and have applied for a few positions. That's all I'll
say about the work side because this is a cruising blog!
We've started some boat projects. The first thing we had to do is register
the boat in Hawaii. That had the nice side effect of getting us off the tax register
in San Diego, but getting that done was a full day of paperwork. Also we sold
our inflatable kayak and life raft. Thank you CraigsList!
Our biggest issue, comfort-wise, on the
crossing was the leaks.
Thinking that the windows would be a good place to start (wrong!), we yanked
out the aft port side window. It was a pain to get out, but we've cleaned it
up, verified that no water got into the deck's plywood core and are ready to
re-install it. The issue is replacing the gasket. Apparently we need to get
that from the original manufacturer. Ugh! The boat is 30 years old and I'm
sure the manufacturer is out of business or has no record of ever making
windows for JJ Taylor in 1984. I still need to confirm that. I would
appreciate any happy thoughts you could send my way.
We're also on the way towards replacing our compromised forestay. The issue
there is that I don't know if we want to re-install the roller furling or get
rid of it. I've talked to a dozen or so salty cruisers and racers with strong
(strong!) opinions on both sides. Leaving it off the boat means reducing the
number of possible failures (and headaches) in the rig. Putting it back on
means we don't have to go to the bow everytime the wind strength changes. We
have a big decision to make.
While the job search and boat work are still going, we're living in the marina.
The facilities (restroom & showers) are first class - especially compared to
the state harbors - but the dust from the boatyard is substantial. We'll
survive and I have learned to use a sponge.
Boat work, job search, and paperwork don't take all of our time. We rented a
car for a week ($90 at Lucky Owl) and drove all over the island - West Side, North
Shore, and Windward Side. Costco was our first stop with the rental car - that's
how we do tourist in Oahu. We did some hiking and saw some beautiful sights.
We've also been out for a few day sails aboard boats owned by new friends. Here's
me aboard Demasiada:
Real life considerations: the marina is in an industrial district so its a bit
of a hike to the grocery store (1.2 miles), coffee shop (with WiFi), or
restaurant. The distance is a good thing as it allows us to stretch our legs
and it keeps us out of trouble (read: spending less cash). Although the tiki
bar next door is quite fun!
We've slowed down for the time being, but we're sticking with the plan.